Reds v Broughton (Dec22)

Reds overpower Broughton after a Shaky Start

Linlithgow 50 – 15 Broughton

Saturday 03 December 2022

Report by David Mitchell

Broughton were the visitors to Mains Park last Saturday in an East 1 League fixture. The Reds team showed only 1 change from last week’s win over Cambuslang with Lewis Herdman in at wing for the unavailable Ruaridh Stewart.

Linlithgow were resplendent in their new home strips, provided by the generous sponsorship of CBS Consulting. Thanks go to Eddie Curran for his continuing support of the Club over recent years. The pitch was in good condition and the weather was set fair for an encounter that is usually a close affair.

Broughton dominated territory and possession in the first 20 minutes, partly through some direct running and good passing but also aided by some woeful tackling by the home team. It was no surprise that Broughton took the lead with a penalty and they were also close to scoring a try, but thankfully the Reds’ goal line defence was much more effective than their open play tackling.

Finally the Reds got into their stride and scored 4 tries in the final 20 minutes of the 1st half. The scrum was performing well as usual and the line-out was also effective with Kyle Ormond finding Mark Caddle in particular on a regular basis. The home side also began to clear out the Broughton players at rucks and this allowed scrum half Cammy Murrie to speed up distribution to the back division. 

The 1st try came after good line-out ball from Caddle was transferred quickly along the back line and Jack Frame appeared outside the centres and foxed the visitors’ defence with a nice dummy to Herdman before cruising over for a try under the posts and he added the extra points. This was quickly followed by another fine team try with full back Ross Tulloch making good ground up to half way before being tackled. From the ensuing ruck, Cammy Murrie put in a clever kick and Jack Frame sprinted past 2 defenders, dribbled the ball ahead and gathered it near the goal line before reaching out to dot the ball down on the line. He added the conversion and suddenly the Reds were 14-3 ahead and full of confidence.

The Broughton right winger fielded a kick in his own 22 metre area and decided to run it back at the Reds but the ball went loose before being gathered by the attacking team and eventually the ball was passed back to Frame who manufactured an outrageous pass between his legs to start a move that ended with Mark Caddle charging over for the 3rd try. Frame added the extra points. Finally just before half time, the Reds won a penalty and skipper Euan Mochrie took a quick tap and drove at the Broughton defence. The ball was shipped along the line to Aidan Rennison and he delivered a well weighted pass to Ross Plenderleith to storm between 2 defenders and score an excellent try. Frame missed the conversion to make the half time score 26-3 and with a bonus point for scoring 4 tries.

Although a healthy lead, the Reds knew that Broughton are a team capable of scoring many points and they set about the 2nd half trying to extend their lead. The crowd did not have long to wait for another Reds’ score. Aidan Rennison was tackled on half way and the loose ball was collected by Jack Frame and he took off up the middle before stepping past the last defender and running behind the posts to score his 3rd try of the day. He converted his own try to make the 33-3. However the expected backlash came from Broughton who scored 2 tries and 1 conversion to bring the score back to 33-15 with 20 minutes to go.

The Reds’ replacements were deployed gradually over the last 20 minutes with appearances by Stuart Cunningham, Kieran Cochrane, Eddie Beamish and Ally McLean. Stuart Cunningham made his usual positive impact on proceedings and it was good to see Kieran Cochrane charging about knocking down the opposition and disrupting their attempts to run out of defence.

There was still time for the home side to show their recently acquired clinical finishing by adding 3 further tries. Skipper Euan Mochrie fought his way to the line after good work by Ross Tulloch and a nice run and pass from Jack Frame. Then Cammy Murrie scored when he resisted an attempt to wrestle the ball away from him and he burst over at the posts to score a try that his overall performance deserved and gave the crowd a laugh with his attempt at a celebration. The final score was a try involving about half of the team with both Mark Caddle and Fraser Mochrie looking likely scorers before the ball was moved to the wing where Man of the Match Jack Frame took the pass and strolled over for his 4th try of the game. He only converted one of the last 3 tries but that still left him with a personal haul of 30 points from his 4 tries and 5 conversions.

Final score – Linlithgow 50 Broughton 15

For 20 minutes this looked like a real contest but after that, the Reds pulled ahead smoothly with some great tries spread around 5 players, always a great sign. Jack Frame is now showing signs that he is growing ever more familiar with the demands of the number 10 shirt and his increasing confidence seems to be rubbing off on his teammates. Apart from the tackling lapses which were addressed in the half time team talk, all aspects showed signs of improvement. The scrum was dominant, the line-outs were largely effective, the loose ball was delivered much more quickly, the finishing was more clinical and the kicking game was better but still needs some work.  

Still work to be done on tackling and open play kicking and they need to be better for next Saturday when 2nd placed Ross High are the visitors. However if we start quickly, defend well and continue to create and take our try scoring chances then we should do well against a tough opponent. Next week’s game is a 2pm kick off. The 2nd are in East 2 Reserve League action at Peebles next Saturday also with a 2pm kick off.


Andrew Graham, Kyle Ormond, Colin Devlin; Fraser Mochrie, Ross Martin; Euan Mochrie, Jamie Tulloch and Mark Caddle; Cammy Murrie, Jack Frame; Ross Plenderleith, Aidan Rennison, Freddie Adcock, Lewis Herdman; Ross Tulloch.

Replacements: Stuart Cunningham, Ally McLean, Kieran Cochrane and Eddie Beamish